Roke is proud to receive the prestigious Employer Recognition Scheme (ERS) Gold Award from the Ministry of Defence (MoD) for its support and continued commitment to the Armed Forces community in the South East region.
The award is the highest recognition presented to organisations that demonstrate their support to the Armed Forces and inspire others to do the same.
As a Gold award winner, Roke has shown it actively communicates and upholds a positive stance for employees who are veterans, Reservists and Cadet Force Adult volunteers, as well as spouses and partners of those serving in the Armed Forces.
The values of the ERS closely align with Roke’s mission and culture which is dedicated to combining and applying emerging technologies to keep people safe whilst unlocking value. Roke signed the Armed Forces Covenant in 2017 and was delighted to receive a Bronze Award in 2018 and a Silver Award in 2021. The company has over 40 veterans and reservists in its Armed Forces community, and they are supported through a number of policies and initiatives designed to support their continued service, while making transition from service personnel to employee as smooth as possible.
Here are some of the ways we are delivering on our commitments:
- An additional fifteen days paid leave to Reservist employees to complete tours and annual training camps
- Support for Reservists during times of mobilisation and demobilisation
- A sympathetic and flexible approach to requests for leave from service spouses and partners before, during and post operational deployments
- Supporting the rehabilitation of wounded, injured and sick service personnel through relationships with charitable organisations and initiatives dedicated to these causes (Roke’s previous charity was Pilgrim Bandits, and is now Mission Motorsport)
- Recruitment of recent service leavers and veterans. All Roke vacancies are listed with the MoD’s Career Transition Partnership
- A Veterans Network employee resource group open to all employees, regardless of service history and includes non-veterans
- Formal recognition of Armed Forces Day and Remembrance Day every year through Senior Leadership Team led events
- Submission of numerous nominations for both veterans and Reservists to the Ex-Forces in Business Awards
- Acting as an advocate for the Armed Forces Covenant by encouraging and supporting suppliers and customers to adopt the principles of the Covenant
- Providing training on Roke defence products and capabilities to support Armed Forces training programmes
Paul MacGregor, Managing Director of Roke commented:
“This award means a great deal to Roke and recognises the enormous contribution and commitment that our service men and women make in the defence of our country.
“Their considerable leadership, management and engineering skills, honed during military service, strengthen our ability to understand our defence customers’ complex operational and technical challenges. These skills are vital to our future success.”
Michael Walters, Head of Operational Workforce Planning, military veteran and ERS lead said:
“Since joining Roke it was clear to me that the company was an authentic advocate of the service community. This was evident in the number of veterans and reservists working across all areas of the business and manifests in the way the Roke supports them.
“The Roke Veterans Network employee resource group serves to provide a soft landing for service leavers moving into the civilian workplace, whilst also raising occasions such as Armed Forces Day and Remembrance within the consciousness of the business. This award is testament to the enduring way in which we champion the Armed Forces through both our own veteran and reservist communities, and also with our partners and customers’.”
Minister for Defence People Leo Docherty said:
“Regardless of size, location or sector, employing members of the Armed Forces community is good for businesses.
“These awards recognise the outstanding support for our Armed Forces from employers across the UK and I would like to thank and congratulate each and every one.”
Related news, insights and innovations
Find out more about our cutting-edge expertise.